Sunday, May 4, 2008

Find it

As the semester ends, time flings us all into yet another scorching work-and-play filled summer. Although I expect this summer to be very rewarding, it doesn't bring as much anticipation as the last two summers. I've come to understand that we all are on a never-ending search for happiness. I've thought alot about times when I have been really happy in the past. When I look at this picture, I get a surging sensation of freedom and happiness. Being completely free and alone, for three days of hopping the islands of Southeast Alaska, I came to a city that I have longed to return to ever since I set foot there. The city of Petersburg, Alaska. A small town at the foot of the massive Stakine Mountain Range. The Devil's Thumb rises 10,000 feet above the town and dwarfs the many small fishing boats that dot the harbor. No matter how mundane or redundant every day life can be, I always look back to the adventure and freedom that I felt in Alaska.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope your summer is diversely eventful! Its kinda crazy how a piece of land could entrap part of your soul. Enchanting.

The best of luck Jarie!

Sarie said...

Man, that sounds gorgeous. I really want to go there! You are awesome for getting such beautiful photos of it, so at least you know you could do it some sort of justice. Ya, happiness is hard to attain, but remember, memories are always sweeter than the present. But the present is where we should throw our energy. Make it the best summer ever.

Anonymous said...

HIJAREDTHISJESSIE